Monday, February 13, 2006

My Freeware Experience


I didn't know about all of the software available besides freeware. I knew of shareware, but didn't know the exact definition of it before reading the article. I also wasn't aware of what open source software was until I did the blog on FireFox (which is an open source program, which is why it's being improved so much by each update) . Reading pages 158 and 159 in the book were also helpful in learning about the differences between Commercial, Freeware, Shareware, Open Source, and Public Domain softwares.

I have never experienced Tucows.com until doing this blog report, I always go to Download.com. On Tucow's front page they don't have many of their popular programs listed like Download.com does. I think it's kind of funny the first thing I saw was a program for an online spell checker. I know a lot of people might need that, but it's not something someone like myself will automatically be looking for.


It's also so much easier to find user reviews and the most popular programs on Download.com because they put them right on the front page. Although Tucows does seem to be more organized, Download.com has a very "busy" website; especially their front page. This is a biased report because I always use Download.com, but I'm not totally counting out Tucows!

I have a lot of experience with freeware. It includes Spyware Doctor, Spybot Search & Destroy, SoulSeek (music downloading program) and many other software I have worked with and downloaded over the years.

My favorite, of course, is the free music downloading software. I was thinking about downloading Limewire again on my computer (I had it once before but it wasn't working). It's #5 right now on the most popular downloads of the week on Download.com. I haven't downloaded it yet because the school blocks most downloading programs because of viruses and it slows the connection, and the other reason also deals not wanting viruses on my computer (basically the same reason as above). When people download music now, they are getting more viruses than actual music and computers are expensive...I didn't want to risk getting a virus on my computer. I already had to wipe out my hard drive three times this semester alone. The user reviews on LimeWire are very helpful. Download.com offers Pro's and Cons to downloading the program. After reading the reviews on LimeWire, the pro's basically say it's very fast and it comes up with a ton of search results. The cons say viruses are still related to this program even if you don't download music, viruses are connected with the software.


Although it's part of the assignment, I am choosing not to re-download LimeWire. Now with the threat of more viruses being attached to it...I don't want to risk my computer being messed up by it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home