Sunday, February 05, 2006

Mozilla Firefox

vs.
Internet Explorer



I haven't used Internet Explorer for about two years now. Ever since I switched to Mozilla, I haven't looked back. In the updated version of Mozilla there are many new helpful options and features to make browsing easier. To name a few new features: Multiple Tab Browsing (which I personally love), Clear Private Data (which I also love), Live Bookmarking (bookmarks are updated from information on the web), Automatic Updates, and Themes (you can put your own background or skin on Mozilla). Another thing I really love about Mozilla is I have the option of deleting my downloads after I download them. I don't have to go searching on my computer for a download log, something pops up right away and I can click "Clean Up".

Mozilla is constantly being updated, but Internet Explorer limits their growth and development. They are the slowest browser to come up with new versions. All of the new browsers mentioned in the articles are way ahead of Internet Explorer in terms of security and privacy measures and other technological updates. IE only comes out with updates every year and those updates are only made available available in certain service packages. People who use older versions of Windows are left with a slow, insecure browser. Mozilla provides secure browsing, there aren't any security breaches...and if there are they make sure to update and patch their browser right away. Internet Explorer is still filled with security issues and is easy to hack into. I completely agree with the articles when it comes to IE, it's poorly updated and doesn't offer users anything to help it develop like Firefox does.

When I used IE, sometimes the pages I was trying to get to wouldn't even load. The browser is very slow and inefficient and it leaves a ton of cookies and tracking cookies on my computer. It still does even when I don't use it, which I don't understand...maybe because I use AOL which is an interface to IE. The version of Firefox that I'm using is 1.5...I downloaded this version last week. The version of IE that I have is 6.0. I have the service Pack 2 for Windows XP, but since I've been using Firefox I didn't even bother updating to IE 7.0.

Usually when I want to go to more than one website, I open another window in the browser...which is why I'm so glad for tabbed browsing. So now when I type in a website when I already have one up, a different frame opens in the browser so I don't have to open another window. This makes browsing a lot faster and easier. When I first download Mozilla I got some pop ups, but now they aren't a problem. They patched up the new version really well. I also have pop-up blocking for my AOL browser (which doesn't really work), but it's well known that AOL's browser sucks anyway.

The only thing I don't like about Mozilla is in the Options panel, I don't think they should have changed the format from vertical to horizontal. That window just reminds me so much of Internet Explorer and for someone who doesn't know what they're doing, it can be confusing. I don't understand what SSL and TLS stand for in the Security Panel (another thing I don't like, these should be explained.)

It's obvious that Internet Explorer has gone down in popularity, they can't compete with Firefox. I've never used a fast browser before and I was pleasantly surprised when I downloaded Firefox about how quick it was in response time. Internet Explorer dies a lot or times out. I've never heard of the other browsers mentioned in the articles: Opera 8, Safari, and Deepnet, but I'm definitely going to keep Firefox. In my opinion, there is no better browser available. I have no reason to switch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home